“Where can I find great images for my business blog?” is one of the most frequently asked questions I get. And since I work with images every day I have a wide selection of websites I use. This question has come up a lot lately so I thought I’d share where you can find great images for your business blog.
A great image can increase engagement up to 93%!
Sounds to good to be true? According to Social Bakers It is true though. Images are a great way to get peoples attention. An image is worth more than thousand words, you can add feelings to your blog posts though images. With a great image it will be much easier to get someone else to share your content. It has also a bigger chance of getting pinned.
Image basics – get it right from the beginning.
But first let us start with some basics – the legal stuff. May sound boring but we don’t want you to get in trouble.
There are four ways to search for images you can use on your business blog, Googling is not one of them! You cannot use images you find on Google just because they happen to show up when you search. Each image has a license that you need to be aware of. Instead, here are three licenses to be aware of:
- Creative commons. The creative commons license includes several different licenses. As a business blogger you want to search for Attribution – CC BY. This let’s you modify the image and use it on your blog. Just like I have used and modified the above image by Francisco Osorio. The only thing I need to do is say I have modified it and link to the photographer. You can also use the license Attribution-NoDerivs CC BY ND but you may not modify the images and will still need to link to the photographer.
- Royalty free. This means you will have the rights to use the images as many times as you want and do not need to link to the photographer but you can’t claim ownership of the image. Please make sure you read the terms before using the image as commercial use is not always included.
- Public domain. These images can be used in any way you want. Works in the public domain are those whose intellectual property rights have expired, have been forfeited, or are inapplicable. Source: Wikipedia.
If you always make sure that your license is one of the above you can’t go wrong. Always make sure you check the license before downloading the image.
How to find great images for your business blog.
Now when you know how the licensing work it is time to find the images. There are way too many places to find images, the problem is that not all of them are of good quality. You want to make sure that the images you use are of good quality, meaning, colors, focus, position etc. So instead of spending ages finding these images, like I have done, let me share a few places that will give you great images from the start.
Creative commons licensing. Here are a few places where you can find images listed under creative license.
- Flickr. Anyone can share images to Flickr. It is a mecka for photographers who want to show the world their work. Use their own search, select Commercial use/modifications allowed.
- Photopin. Another super easy way to find images for your blog. All you need to do is search for the images (remember to click commercial use), click a link and add the images and credits. All images are from Flickr. Please note: the top row will always show sponsored images that will need to be purchased.
- Creative commons search. A selection of various places to search for your image.
Royalty Free licensing. You will normally find royalty free images at stock image banks where you can buy the image at a lower cost. These images are taken by a photographer and the photos are normally of high quality. Some images can be purchased from as little as $1, others a lot pricier depending on the license and type of image. Here are three places to find great royalty free images. You will find royalty free images at:
- IstockPhoto. You will need to buy a set of credits that will let you buy the image. Tip: sign up and get a free image every week. You will need to log in to see the image.
- Fotolia. Great images at a low price.
- Dreamstime. Both royalty free and free images. They even have a wordpress plugin.
- GettyImages. Looking for a photo of a celebrity? Check out GettyImages! GettyImages will also let you embed images on your blog for free. Again, check the license.
Public Domain images. This is where I find most of my images. There are great resources out there and I really like the fact that there is no need to give credit and I can use them however I wish.
- Pixabay – great selection of professional and more amateur photos. Check out the editors choice for great suggestions.
- Unsplash. A super site with images from all over the world. A lot of landscape and city images.
- Little Visuals. Download a free zip file with images each week or download directly from the website.
- Death to the Stock Photo. Add your email and you will receive a set of new images every month. Great quality images, well worth to sign up to.
- Life of Pix. A nice selection of photos you can use for your commercial projects.
- FoodiesFeed. Looking for food photos? FoodiesFeed has a nice selection of photos.
With all the above resources you should not have any trouble finding great images for your business blog. Sometimes you will come across the same image on several websites.
One last tip: be creative when searching for images, you can always rework an image with a new light or text. That way your images will be a little bit different even if you use the same image as someone else.
How important do you think great images are for business blogs? Got any other favorites you’d like to share? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below and of course I will be extra happy if you share it with a friend.